Amnthe iotic fluid is released continuously, but unevenly. With the increase in the period, its volume also increases, reaching its maximum at about 36 weeks of gestation, making an average of 1000-1500 ml. Then, before the very birth, the amount of fetal water may decrease slightly, which is explained by the increased excretion of liquid from the mother's body.
Composition of amniotic fluid
At different stages in the development of the baby, not only the quantity but also the composition of the amniotic fluid changes. It is also unstable and rather complicated. Fruit waters contain proteins, fats, carbohydrates, hormones, enzymes, vitamins, trace elements, carbon dioxide, oxygen, immunoglobulins, fetal blood group antigens and other substances. They can also get the products of the sebaceous glands (flakes of original grease, which covers the baby's body), skin, hair, as well as substances from the mother's blood. Between the fetus, the amniotic fluid and the mother's body, there is a constant exchange of substances.
The baby urinates directly into the amniotic fluid, which, by the way, is updated every 3 hours, all the while maintaining the necessary for a small composition.
Functions of amniotic fluid
The role of amniotic fluid in the prenatal development and dwelling of the child is huge! Throughout the term - from the very beginning of pregnancy and up to the moment of the birth of the baby - they perform a number of important functions:
- Metabolism: a significant part of the substances necessary for life enters the child's body just from the amniotic fluid water. In return, the child selects the products of processing into amniotic fluid, which is excreted through the mother's excretory system.
- Mechanical protection: a fetal bladder and water protect the child from a wide variety of mechanical damages. They create a reliable "airbag". Also, the amniotic fluid prevents umbilical cord compression and tissue fusion. In addition, water makes possible the free active movement of crumbs, which contributes to its intensive development.
- Sterility: amniotic fluid is always sterile and maintains an ideally clean living environment. They protect the little from penetration and exposure to infections. It is interesting that during the entire pregnancy the fetal water is renewed every 3 hours, always maintaining the necessary chemical composition. And this process continues until their complete outpouring, when after the birth of the child the so-called rear waters flow out.
- Participation in labor: the amniotic fluid plays an important role not only during pregnancy, but also directly in childbirth. Actually, the birth begins with the outflow of the so-called front waters, which are in the lower part of the fetal bladder. They press their weight on the cervix, causing it to open. Water retains favorable conditions for the fetus during labor, and at the outflow, the ancestral ways are washed, which then facilitates the easier movement of the child through them.
The amniotic fluid contains a lot of important information about the condition and development of the fetus. The volume, composition, transparency, consistency, color of the amniotic fluid that can be determined during laboratory tests.
Analysis of fetal water can determine the blood type and sex of the child, warn of probable hereditary diseases, metabolic disorders, the occurrence of hypoxia.
If you suspect a development of abnormalities, pathologies and genetic disorders in the fetus of a pregnant woman, I also recommend that an amniocentesis be made to make sure that the baby is doing well.
The composition of the amniotic fluid informs about the degree of readiness of the baby for birth, when it becomes necessary to conduct emergency births, in particular, determines the stage of maturity of the respiratory system and the lungs of the child.
Pathology of amniotic fluid
For the child to develop safely, Amniotic fluid must be maintained and maintained in a certain amount and condition. The change in its volume and chemical composition in a number of cases indicates violations and pathologies:
- Polyhydramnios. On polyhydramnios speak, when the volume of amniotic fluid exceeds 1.5 liters. Why this happens, doctors can not find out exactly, but they allay a number of possible causes: nephritis, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, intrauterine infections, congenital malformations of the fetus, multiple pregnancy, Rhesus-conflict. Most often this pathology is found in the second and third trimesters. If the polyhydramnios developed suddenly, then the delivery should be carried out urgently.
- Rafting. Malignancy is less common, but it is also dangerous for the fetus and adversely affects its development. Childbirth in cases of malnutrition often come early and pass with complications. In case of malnutrition, the volume of the amniotic fluid does not exceed 500 ml. The woman thus experiences constant pains in a stomach, amplifying at movement of a fetus, and activity of the child is lowered.
- Leaking of water. A fetal bladder should maintain its integrity until the birth itself, otherwise, the baby will not be able to survive. The rupture of the fetal bladder and the outflow of amniotic fluid signify the onset of labor and ideally should occur in a timely manner. Premature leakage of water indicates the early onset of labor and should be an occasion for urgent treatment in the hospital. Also, immediately tell the doctor about water leakage, if you have the relevant suspicions. In this case, the fetal bladder tears in the upper lateral part, and an amniotic fluid flows from the hole in small portions.
- Green waters. Normally, the fetal water is clear, like water. By the end of the pregnancy, they may become slightly cloudy and contain whitish flakes, because the baby "sheds": lankugal and epidermal cells, as well as original grease, come off the skin. Such waters are normal and create a favorable habitat for the baby. But when the baby experiences a lack of oxygen (which doctors call fetal hypoxia), a reflex release of meconium from the rectum can occur. In this case, the water becomes green or brown and presents a certain danger for crumbs.
Any of these conditions requires medical attention, so if you suspect any violations, you should contact your gynecologist. And for greater peace of mind - do not miss planned regular inspections and do not neglect the directions for examinations. The condition of amniotic fluid helps to control ultrasound, CTG, blood tests for intrauterine infections, for Rh-antibodies, for TORCH-infection.