In past centuries a woman with bronchial asthma did not advise doctors to give birth in general, so as not to endanger themselves and the fetus. But in those days the medicine was not as developed as it is today. Therefore, you can calm down: thanks to the progress now in the world, thousands of pregnant women with bronchial asthma give birth to fully healthy children.
What is bronchial asthma and why can it be dangerous for your baby?
Simply put, this is an allergic reaction of the respiratory system. The mechanism of the disease is simple: the bronchi contact the allergen and therefore their lumens narrow, spasms and suffocation occur. Allergens in this case can be plant pollen, seafood, wool and animal dander, dust, household chemicals, cigarette smoke. In rare cases, asthma occurs after a brain injury and as a result of various endocrine disorders. Often the disease can be accompanied by dermatitis, eczema, rhinitis, conjunctivitis. And your baby risks getting hypoxia (insufficient oxygen in the blood) even in the womb.
But the biggest problem arises not because the disease is, but in connection with its poor control. After all, if you know that you are an asthmatic, you should always be under the supervision of your doctor and periodically take certain medications. To give birth to a healthy child, the expectant mother needs to be treated to prevent the increase in symptoms and the development of hypoxia in the baby.
Causes of asthma during pregnancy
As is known, in the body of a pregnant woman a number of hormonal changes occur. This leads to the fact that bronchial asthma can e each mom manifest differently. Approximately one-third of the female asthmatics in the position of heaviness and frequency of seizures remain the same as before pregnancy. And some people in general cease to disturb the disease and proceed in mild form. Doctors say, this happens due to the improved work of the hormone cortisol.
Severe asthma can often cause the fear of the mother herself. Fearing that the prescribed medicines will negatively affect the child, she refuses to accept them. And this paves the way for hypoxia in the crumbs. Most often, pregnant women complain of increased seizures at 28-40 weeks. It is during this period that the fetus grows and limits the movement of the lungs of the mother. It becomes easier only then, when the baby falls into the small pelvis shortly before birth. That's why doctors insist that pregnant women-asthmatics constantly keep an inhaler nearby. Strong attacks can cause premature contractions.
The intensification of seizures in pregnant women depends on the forms of bronchial asthma. They are distinguished by two:
- infectious-allergic. It develops against the background of infectious diseases of the respiratory tract. It could It develops against the background of infectious diseases of the respiratory tract. It could It develops against the background of infectious diseases of the respiratory tract. It couldpneumonia, pharyngitis, angina or bronchitis. Allergens in this case are harmful microbes. This form of asthma is most common in pregnant women;
- Non-infectious-allergic. The pollen of plants, dust, feathers, wool and dander of animals, medicinal substances (antibiotics, penicillin, vitamin B1, aspirin, pyramidone), production chemicals (formalin, pesticides, cyanamides, inorganic salts of heavy metals, can also provoke the development and complication of this form of bronchial asthma) ), food allergens (citrus fruits, strawberries, strawberries). An important role in the occurrence of non-infectious-allergic asthma has a hereditary predisposition.
Symptoms of asthma in pregnant women
First of all, bronchial asthma is a chronic inflammatory disease. The inflammatory process provokes a number of symptoms, and it can not be ignored in any case. After all, asthma is exactly the case when you need to treat not the symptoms, but the cause. Otherwise, the disease will only progress and cause complications.
There are all three stages of development of bronchial asthma in a pregnant woman: pre-asthma, asthma attacks and asthmatic status.
The first, pre-asthmatic phase can be recognized by the following signs:
- the pregnant woman has chronic asthmatic bronchitis and chronic pneumonia with bronchial spasms;
- Absence of severe attacks of suffocation, they develop only periodically.
The second stage of bronchial asthma in most cases is easy to recognize. Pregnant women have attacks of asthma that last from several minutes to several hours. Most often they torture a woman at night and are accompanied by the following symptoms:
- sensation of a scratch in the throat;
- sneezing, runny nose;
- chest tightness;
- persistent cough without phlegm;
- The breathing becomes noisy, wheezing, hoarse, it is heard from a distance.
- the person acquires a cyanotic shade;
- the skin is covered with perspiration;
- at the end of the attack, sputum begins to separate, which becomes more and more fluid and abundant.
After this, there is an asthmatic status - at which the attack of suffocation does not stop for hours and even days. This stage is considered severe, and the use of drugs is ineffective. Asthmatic status can cause complications in a pregnant woman, such as: toxicosis, pre-eclampsia (a disease that increases blood pressure and can affect the placenta, kidneys, liver and brain), severe childbirth. The worst predictions are possible for the baby (low birth weight, premature birth, underdevelopment, sudden death). To avoid such complications and risks for the child, Mom should carefully monitor the disease and in time to undergo treatment.
Treatment and prevention of asthma during pregnancy
Most female asthmatics during pregnancy flatly refuse to take medications, believing that it would hurt their child. But it is this attitude to the disease that leads to numerous complications in mother and baby. You must understand: it is extremely necessary to treat asthma. If you start the disease, do not control its development, then the baby risks suffocating during an attack in the womb.
Asthma in pregnant women is treated with local inhalation medications. At the same time, their concentration in the blood is minimal, and the effect in the bronchi is maximal. To avoid side effects, doctors recommend using inhalers that do not contain freon. An asthmatic woman in a position needs more careful observation of a physician than before pregnancy. It categorically forbids medicines and vitamins, which the doctor has not appointed.
To avoid complications, women with bronchial asthma are advised to plan pregnancy in advance. It is important that the future mother understands the causes and consequences of her illness, she learned to control seizures and use inhalation drugs correctly. If you follow these simple rules, then during pregnancy, asthma may not even bother.
In the risk zone are those women in whose family there were cases of bronchial asthma.
- Avoid allergens that can cause asthma attacks to protect yourself from possible sudden manifestations of the disease;
- remove from your house those things that collect dust;
- Every day, do a wet cleaning, once a week vacuuming upholstered furniture and carpets, sleep on a synthetic pillow;
- Observe a hypoallergenic diet;
- Get rid of bad habits;
- Do not keep houses of cats, dogs and other animals on which you may have allergies;
- Relax more, avoid stress.
And know that bronchial asthma is not a verdict or contraindications for pregnancy. Today, medicine has stepped forward and developed new drugs and modern methods of controlling the disease. Watch for the development of asthma, take all the necessary measures in its treatment and tune in to a positive result. Your baby must be born healthy!