When does breastfeeding protect?
If a woman nurses a baby at his request, in most cases this is a method of contraception. But from this rule there are exceptions, which just and are explained not by observance of rules. So, a young mother breastfeeding her baby for the first six months can count on a contraceptive effect, which doctors call "lactational amenorrhea" under certain conditions:
- Applying the baby to breasts at his request, that is, 8 times a day. The longest night break should not exceed 5 hours.
- They do not feed the child, that is, they do not inject lure. To calm him, parents do not use a pacifier.
- After 3 months of lactation in a woman, the menstrual cycle did not recover.
Sometimes, ovulation can occur even if there are no menstruation. Therefore, after 3 months after birth, you need to use those contraceptives that are allowed during breastfeeding.
And grandmothers did not become pregnant. . .
During the youth of our grandmothers, lactations and menstruation were not at the same time. Today it is possible. After all, if a young mother does not have a period, this does not mean that ovulation does not occur. The reason is today's tradition of delivery. This refers to the use of stimulants of labor. They also lead to a change in the hormonal background and are the cause of the onset of subsequent pregnancy after childbirth.
If the birth is not stimulated, then they will last much longer, will exhaust the woman in childbirth. Some women record abnormalities and pathologies during pregnancy. Sometimes the cervix can open ahead of time - and this serves as an indication for the use of stimulants. In other cases, everything is exactly the opposite: the cervix for a very long time does not open - and this too is fraught with dangerous consequences. And stimulants are just hormonal drugs that change the female hormonal background.
When can I get pregnant again?
Unfortunately, such a risk appears in a few weeks, because the body perceives the body as the last day of menstruation. Doctors advise young mothers to abstain from sexual activity for 6 months after childbirth and not to forget about contraception with the restoration of her regular rhythm. But in practice, it is unlikely that the spouses will wait a full six months before the resumption of intimate relations. Therefore, we should not forget that this is a period of risk and probability of getting pregnant again.
How can I protect myself?
- Condoms, vaginal diaphragm, that is barrier contraception. Qualitative condoms have a rather high percentage of protection. And their good lubrication helps prevent the symptom of vaginal dryness after childbirth. The efficiency of the vaginal diaphragm is about 90%. Its advantages are simplicity, convenience and reusable use.
- Creams and suppositories for intravaginal use, i.e. spermicidal agents. Pharmatex, Patentex Oval or other contraceptives create a vaginal environment that inhibits the activity of spermatozoa. The effectiveness of this form of contraception is about 80%.
- The spiral compared to the above means is more reliable & bdquo; Advocate & rdquo; from an unwanted pregnancy, but only in the absence of contraindications. She can protect a woman for about seven years. If necessary or planning pregnancy, it can be extracted. The spiral has almost 100% reliability.
- Using oral contraceptives is very effective, but you need to remember the schedule of taking and not forget to drink tablets on time. Modern contraceptive pills that do not contain ethinylestradiol are called mini-pili. You can consume them 2 months after giving birth.
Remember that the chance & bdquo; pick up & rdquo; unwanted pregnancy after childbirth is.
That's why you need to choose a reliable method of contraception, after consulting with your gynecologist.