Possible risks during flights during pregnancy:
- premature birth. Although it has not been scientifically proven that air travel increases the risk of early delivery. But in everyday practice this happens quite often, and patients should be aware of the lack of opportunities for resuscitation of newborns on board the aircraft.
- Almost all pregnant women are very sensitive to pressure changes
- thromboembolic complications (clot formation in the veins of the legs). This complication occurs, fortunately, not often, but fraught with serious problems. The thrombosis can develop during a long flight, when the pregnant person is sitting motionless in one place for a long period of time, does not receive enough liquid
- exposure to radiation. There is an opinion that at a decent height there is a risk of radiation exposure. However, numerous studies disprove this claim. Scientists assure that irradiation in an airplane does not at all exceed the daily dose of radiation that a person receives on earth. But during pregnancy it is better to refrain from flying during flares in the sun
- decrease in oxygen saturation of arterial blood. But my mother, future child easily tolerate relative hypoxia
- increased toxicosis
- short-term metabolic disorders
- increase in uterus tone
- and difficult-to-predict obstetric complications . In general, the probability of occurrence of conditions that threaten the life of the mother and fetus during the air flight is not high. But we need to take into account the fact that on board the aircraft there is no possibility of providing specialized medical assistance.
Whether you go on vacation or you are sent on a business trip, if you are pregnant, you are at a certain risk. Even with excellent health and health of the voyages by airplane (especially long) you are not recommended now. But there are situations, when the flight can be absolutely contraindicated.
Contraindications to flights during pregnancy
- Risk of premature birth.
- Different types of anemia.
- Transferred thrombophlebitis.
- Anomaly of the placenta.
- Tone of the uterus (and as a consequence of the threat of termination of pregnancy).
- Severe toxicosis of the first half of pregnancy.
- Multiple pregnancy.
- Pregnancy as a result of artificial insemination.
- Incorrect fetal position in the second half of the third trimester.
- Other complications and diseases, at which your doctor finds the journey unacceptable.
We need to think carefully and weigh: how important or necessary the flight is, what risks exist specifically for you, the possible level of comfort during the flight or vice versa. If you decide that it's worthwhile to fly, in any case, consult with your doctor. Although modern commercial flights do not present any risk to a healthy mother and her unborn child, almost all airlines do not allow women on their aircraft after the 32nd week of pregnancy (if you are a crew member, you can continue working in the air only until the 20th week). In any case, you should have a medical card with the expected date of delivery and the doctor's report. So it's better to know in advance about all the rules of your chosen company.
Modern control systems at airports have minimal radiation impact on pregnant women and do not affect the fetus. But you have the right to ask for personal inspection or control with the help of a special sensor.
The second trimester is considered to be the safest travel period, when a woman's body has already adapted to a new condition, and all the basic organs of the baby have already formed, and the fetus is not so susceptible to external influences. In addition, the probability of spontaneous labor during this period is the lowest. In the first and third trimesters, it is better to stay away from flights.
True, there is an opinion that the flight in no way can provoke premature birth, and there are no contraindications to this. However, some precautionary measures during the flight must be observed.< h2> General recommendations for pregnant women during the flight
- It is necessary to consult about the upcoming trip with a gynecologist who will give you specific recommendations, or, if there are any problems, advise to postpone the trip.
- On the eve of the flight, do not eat food provoking gas generation (the gases formed under the conditions of height can expand and stretch the walls of the gastrointestinal tract).
- At the height of your body is dehydrated, so you need to drink a lot and often.
- Choose a convenient place for yourself. The greatest amount of free space and comfort in the plane are provided by the seats near the passage behind the partition. However, in places located in the middle of the aircraft, a quieter flight is possible.
- Walk every half hour, often bend and unbend your knees to prevent swelling and develop phlebitis.
- Be sure to use a safety belt, since air turbulence is unpredictable and can cause serious injury. The seat belt should always be buttoned at the level of the pelvis (under the belly).
- Stock up with special pads for back and neck.
- Wear comfortable clothes that will not restrict you in movements, will not squeeze the stomach, chest. Choose clothes from natural materials. And also take something warm with you.
- Choose flights flying as low as possible to avoid possible exposure.
- Separately, we should talk about vaccination, which is necessary when visiting certain countries. It should be remembered that in the first trimester of pregnancy any vaccination is prohibited, so if the mandatory condition for travel is the availability of vaccination, it is better to postpone it. Yes, and in subsequent pregnancy, it is necessary to treat vaccination with extreme caution, for example, avoid inoculations from malaria, cholera, typhus.
- The bacteria multiply intensively in the closed space of the aircraft cabin. In order not to catch the infection and not get sick, put on a disposable medical mask that will protect against viruses.
- If necessary, an additional oxygen inhalation should be provided to the pregnant woman during the flight.
- The first-aid kit of a woman traveling during pregnancy should include: talcum, a thermometer, saline solutions for rehydration, vitamins, topical antifungals, acetaminophen, sunscreen with a high protection factor, a tonometer, antidiarrhea preparations. Acceptance of most medications, if possible, should be avoided.
- With the slightest deviation in your health, do not be afraid to disturb the flight attendant.
Good to know
First aid for bleeding pregnant on an airplane. First of all, you should try to find a health worker among the passengers. Then you need to put the pregnant on your back in such a way that the head was slightly below the level of the legs (legs, respectively, you need to raise slightly) - in this position the brain receives a sufficient amount of blood for a long time even with severe bleeding. A source of cold is placed on the bottom of the abdomen of the pregnant woman - for example, a bottle of frozen liquid or ice cubes in a cellophane bag (that is on board). As an emergency measure, you can use a tight tamponade of the vagina with a tampon from a sterile bandage. And of course, on the force majeure situation on board must know the pilots in order to make an emergency landing at the nearest airfield, where a woman will be waited by specialists who are ready to provide her with immediate medical assistance.