Heartburn occurs when the contents of the stomach enter the esophagus. This is called reflux. Another reason is the change in the hormonal level of the woman, namely: an increase in the amount of progesterone that ensures the preservation of pregnancy and relaxes smooth muscles (including the gastrointestinal tract). Often heartburn does not come alone, but leads with nausea and vomiting. At the same time, sensations are not pleasant: in the throat and "somewhere in the chest" it burns, and you feel like a fire-breathing dragon. Familiar? Below we propose methods of effective control of this disease.
So, humble yourself that heartburn during pregnancy is natural, and arm yourself with simple tips:
- Do not starve, but do not overeat. It is better to eat more often and gradually, thoroughly chewing food;
- Dine at least two hours before bedtime;
- Do not eat sharp and fatty foods; Also forbidden products include chocolate, citrus fruits, juices, tomatoes, mustard and vinegar;
- Be sure to eat milk and dairy products, low-fat meat, mashed vegetables;
- Try to cook steamed, better to boil vegetables;
- Do not drink sodas. This applies to both sweet drinks and mineral water. Mineral water can be consumed, but it should be left for an hour or two open, so that the gases are eroded;
- After eating, it is recommended to stand or sit without moving; in this position of the body the probability of occurrence of heartburn is less.
- Going to bed, lift your head and shoulders;
- Do not drink coffee or smoke cigarettes - they often cause heartburn;
- Do not drink a lot of liquids while eating. During pregnancy, you should drink about 8-10 glasses of water daily, but between meals.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that does not squeeze the waist and stomach.
All of the above methods are absolutely harmless and, in most cases, effective. But, if they do not help you, ask your doctor. He will prescribe antacid preparations, which in this condition bring considerable relief and are most safe. The main action of antacids is the neutralization of gastric acid. The biggest plus of these drugs is that they are not absorbed into the bloodstream and can not affect the developing fetus. The doctor will pick up the medication permitted during pregnancy. Among the most commonly used: Gaviscon, diamagel, geluzil, molochko magnesia, maaloks. But! Avoid preparations containing sodium and magnesium.
There are situations, however, these are isolated cases when antacids do not work, and a woman is suffering from severe heartburn. Then doctors prescribe special drugs - proton pump inhibitors.
Fortunately, in most cases heartburn disappears after birth. Therefore, be patient, follow our advice and enjoy your pregnancy!