Someone will smile at such "fads" of expectant mothers, understandably shrug their shoulders and spread their hands: they say, and this may not be what you want in this period. However, let's see why almost every third pregnant woman wants chalk, and is it not dangerous for their health and the health of the baby's future?
Why do you want chalk during pregnancy?
Often, the desire to use this or that product is not associated with an informed choice, but with the vital needs of the body, because during pregnancy, the female body consumes most of the nutrients for fetal development. If these substances in the body are not enough, there is a desire to eat something to fill their stock.
The desire of the future mother to eat chalk often occurs due to violations of the vitamin-mineral balance or other metabolic disorders. The most common causes of this can be:
- toxicosis of pregnant women,
- calcium metabolism disorder,
- iron deficiency anemia.
Having ascertained the reason for such an unusual desire for a pregnant woman, it is also necessary to pay attention to the fact that along with this there may be other symptoms that may indicate much more serious problems.
Toxicosis of pregnant women
In the early stages of pregnancy, women often suffer from toxicosis, and this is a normal reaction to the "alien" cells, which is the germ for the mother's immune system (after all, half of his DNA code belongs to the father of the future child). Manifestations of early toxicosis continue until the final formation of the placenta. And all this time a woman can have:
- nausea and vomiting,
- increased salivation,
- changes in taste,
- exacerbation and change of smell.
Sometimes toxicosis manifests itself so strongly that there is not only a change in the general condition, but also because of the physical exhaustion and dehydration of the future mother, she has a weight loss. Especially severe forms of toxicosis are accompanied by violations in the work of the cardiovascular system, liver and kidneys, which can have a serious impact on the fetus. That is why it is impossible to tolerate the progression of toxicosis.
Violation of calcium metabolism
Chalk, as is known, consists of inorganic salts - carbonates, and the main element of these compounds is calcium. Therefore, with its lack in the body of a woman during pregnancy, there may be a desire to replenish the deficit at the expense of calcareous substances.
But in addition to the "calcareous food fad" with calcium deficiency, there may be other symptoms of it, which may appear much earlier than the desire to eat chalk:
- fragility and tarnishing of the hair,
- dryness and decreased skin elasticity,
- fragility and bundle of nails,
- dental problems and caries,
- fatigue and irritability,
- muscle spasms and cramps,
- intestinal colic and constipation,
- osteochondrosis. Sometimes the desire to eat chalk is so great that women can not resist, but there will be no benefit from it, because calcium in it is in the form of inorganic salt, which is not absorbed by the body. Moreover, if the woman does this repeatedly, then in the future eating chalk can have quite serious consequences:
- cardiovascular disorders,
- kidney stones.
And that's not the whole list, but more on that later.
Therefore, when a pregnant woman wants to eat chalk, you need to see if she and other signs of calcium deficiency, and look for more acceptable ways to meet this desire.
Iron deficiency anemia
For some reason, many think that during pregnancy anemia is quite normal. But this is an erroneous opinion, because if the lower hemoglobin level of future mothers is acceptable, it, nevertheless, should not be lower than 110 g / l. And the level of red blood cells in it should not be lower than 3, 6 * 1012 / l. Otherwise, anemia!
During pregnancy, most often diagnosed iron deficiency conditions, in which, in addition to the desire to eat chalk, there are still such symptoms:
- general weakness and fatigue,
- pallor and dryness of the skin,
- brittle hair,
- darkening of the nails,
- cracks in the corners of the lips,
- atrophic processes in the mouth, esophagus,
- change in taste,
- heart palpitations,
Therefore, with a deficiency of iron in the body, the emergence of desire is chalk - this is not just a signal to reduce the mineral element in the blood serum, but a manifestation of the depletion of its tissue stores. Anemia during pregnancy is often manifested as an unnatural or perverse taste predilection.
How to determine the cause of desire is chalk?
You can determine the reason for wanting to taste a piece of chalk at the stage of medical examination of the future mother, but the final answer is given after laboratory tests:
- a clinical blood test,
- biochemical blood test (serum iron, ionized and total calcium),
- general urine analysis.
This will detect the "culprits" of the appearance of unusual taste desires in a pregnant woman: will reveal a deficiency of calcium and iron. However, although the reason will be found, but the desire to eat chalk does not disappear, and it must be satisfied. But just do not gnaw crayons from the stationery store! This is not a food additive!
What is dangerous for stationery or school crayons and chalk for whitewashing?
Doctors unanimously oppose pregnant stationery and school crayons, and explain their prohibition as follows:
1. Both chalk and crayons contain chemical additives and impurities - chalk stones for rodents , gypsum, lime, glue, sand, dyes, which are harmful to the health of both the mother and her crumbs;
2. As a result, the mother's body is poisoned (and the toxins in this case go to the baby), and vital organs such as:
- liver (this it detoxifies from the body),
- kidneys (there are stones formed),
- respiratory tract (the chalk dries the epithelium of the larynx),
- vessels (the chalk settles on the walls, which causes their liming and leads to cardiovascular diseases),
- enamel of the teeth (hard particles scratch it , which further leads to the development of caries and other diseases of the oral cavity, even stomatitis is possible),
- intestines and digestive organs (solid particles scratch the mucous membrane, the chalk dries the epithelium, while promoting the formation of microcracks in which the later develop Pathogenic microorganisms, and in the stomach when interacting with hydrochloric acid Ota chalk causes violent reaction gassing, similar to what happens when slaked lime, destroys the epithelium).
3. Obstetricians and gynecologists do not recommend the use of chalk even for the reason, that this may affect the elasticity of the reproductive pathways, as a result of which difficulties may arise during delivery (for example, ruptures or obstruction associated with cementing the tissues).
4. In addition, the use of chalk can affect the development of the child - up to the overgrowing of the fontanelle and deformation of the bones of the fetus or loss of their elasticity, which again affects the process of childbirth.
As for chalk for whitewash (construction) or intended for animals, all of the above applies to them, too, even with an even greater risk to health.
Where to find edible chalk?
In some forums, when discussing this topic, you can read information that the chalk extracted from the quarry is a pure "product" that does not contain impurities, added during the construction of chalk or chalk. However, no one will give you a guarantee that there is no sand and dirt in the quarry.
Unfortunately, pregnant (and those who suffer from such desires of the body), food chalk on an industrial scale does not produce.
What can replace chalk without harm to health?
When the reason for wanting to eat chalk has already been clarified, care should be taken to rid the woman of this sensation. This can be done only by normalizing metabolic processes in the body. For this, first of all, the appropriate diet (with a high content of missing elements and minerals), as well as medical therapy, are used.
A pregnant woman who wants a chalk, analyzing her diet, should take into account, that the presence in it of fatty and fried foods prevents the incoming calcium from being absorbed in its entirety. Therefore, making a menu, give preference to fresh vegetables and fruits (this is useful for digestion), as well as sour-milk products (they will fill the lack of calcium naturally).
To replenish the body with calcium and iron, the following will be useful:
- cottage cheese, kefir, sour cream, fermented baked milk, hard cheeses, yoghurts,
- beef, liver , pork,
- boiled or stewed fish and canned fish with bones (such as sardines),
- porridge - buckwheat, oatmeal,
- celery, parsley, onion, carrots,
- leaves of spinach and lettuce,
- almonds, seeds,
- dried apricots, raisins, prunes, dates.
The natural source of calcium is the egg shell - it can be grinded in a coffee grinder and added to the ready meals at 0, 3-0, 5 g 2-3 times a day. One portion of this powder contains about 38% of calcium, which is absorbed by the body 3 times faster than calcium, obtained by chemical means.
It's no secret that proper nutrition is the guarantee of the health of the future mother and the normal development of the fetus. But at the same time you need to eat a variety of regularly, refusing to drink alcohol and carbonated drinks, as well as from smoking. Walking in the open air is also important, during which the accumulation of vitamin D takes place through the skin.
If the diet fails to cope with the task, then you will have to connect a more effective method - medication, which is better to be agreed with the doctor who leads the pregnancy.
There are a number of drugs that are just designed to help women during pregnancy to cope with these or other problems without harming the intrauterine development of the fetus:
- Calcium preparations ( Calcium glucanate, Calcium D3). Just calcium gluconate is a kind of pharmaceutical version of chalk, which is suitable for ingestion (not 100% chalk, but the composition is much safer than chalkies), and in order to satisfy the desire to "chalk the chalk", just fit. However, one should not rely on this drug, because excessive infatuation with it can cause constipation, lead to liming of the mucosal epithelium of connective tissues and even provoke the development of diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, heart attack or pancreatitis.
- Iron preparations (Gino-Tardiferon, Totema).
- Vitamins (group B, folic and ascorbic acids).
- Vitamin-mineral complexes for pregnant women (Vitrum, Prenatal). Their concentration is within the limits of the daily norm, therefore, the dosage should be agreed with the attending physician.