Most experts argue that doing yoga not only does not harm, but also help prepare for childbirth, and will also allow a woman to quickly restore the prenatal form in the future.
How is yoga useful to pregnant women?
Initially, it should be noted that yoga during pregnancy significantly differs from traditional exercises that are performed in the "normal state". Exercises performed by expectant mothers - yoga-eyygara for pregnant women - involve the use of additional devices to facilitate asanas and are more aimed at:
- maintain a good physical shape of the woman,
- be able to relax,
- be able to control your breathing and emotions.
All this, in turn, has a beneficial effect on the psychological state of the future mother.
Even if a woman has not previously practiced yoga, the exercises will not present any special difficulties, so you can begin the classes on any terms (from the first weeks), but exercise to take into account the current trimester.
What can serve as a contraindication to practicing yoga during pregnancy?
Before starting yoga, be sure to consult your doctor who is pregnant, do you have any contraindications on this?
If there are any restrictions and possible contraindications, tell your coach about it - he will pick up those exercises that you and your future baby will not harm, will make up for you an individual program.
What can serve as a contraindication for practicing yoga?
There are a number of unconditional contraindications, and the main ones are:
- Prohibition of the doctor, based on the general unstable state of the pregnant woman, or the threat of miscarriage.
- Miscarriages in previous attempts to become pregnant.
- A strong early toxicosis with weight loss.
- Severe pregnancy.
- Hemorrhages of varying intensity.
- Associated somatic diseases.
- Tachycardia, dizziness.
- Last week of pregnancy.
If you have such reasons, do not endanger your health and the health of your baby. Wait for the birth, and then you can start (or continue) doing yoga.
Peculiarities of yoga for pregnant women
To better understand the difference between yoga for pregnant women and ordinary yoga, I must say that yoga originates from Indian culture, where a complex of spiritual, physical and psychoemotional practices that are aimed at achieving harmony and balance of the organism as a whole and its unity with nature.
The state of pregnancy is the most suitable moment for a woman to learn how to accept her new position and be at the same time in harmony with herself. Yoga for pregnant women is a lightweight version of yoga that excludes potentially dangerous poses that can harm a woman or her baby, and even more, thanks to carefully selected asanas (poses), she gradually, gradually prepares the body of the future mother childbirth.
Special attention is paid to breathing techniques in yoga, because correct, deep breathing is one of the most important conditions for the fetus to feed oxygen and its full development. Each trimester of pregnancy has its own set of exercises, and why so - we will tell you in separate sections of the article.
A professional and experienced yoga instructor will always ask the woman in detail about the following:
- how pregnancy takes place,
- whether there are any contra-indications for the beginning of employment,
- whether there was at it or her an experience of employment or occupations by yoga before approach of pregnancy.
This is far from idle curiosity, but the stage of developing an individual program of lessons that relies on the level of preparation of the pregnant woman and her state of health.
If you started classes, then you need to visit them regularly, and not from time to time, since rare activities not only will not have a positive impact, but can worsen a woman's condition, because in this case the physical exertion will be unnecessary stress for the body. Yoga for pregnant women has 4 main stages of classes:
- Yoga of the 1st trimester (up to 16 weeks),
- Yoga of the 2nd trimester ( from 16 to 30-34 weeks),
- 3rd trimester yoga (from 34-35 weeks),
- postnatal yoga, helping to recover a woman after birth and build the work of all her life important bodies in the old way.
For those who previously engaged in yoga,Attention should be paid to certain safety rules or, rather, even precautions:
- It is not desirable to exercise on a full stomach (food intake no later than 1, 5-1 hour before classes), and before starting classes it is important to empty bladder.
- For asanas it is desirable to use auxiliary materials, for example, bolster, pillow, blanket or roller.
- Breathing exercises are best performed while sitting on a chair.
- Try to move smoothly (especially to go to bed and get up), carefully change position, because any sudden movements (jumps, jumps) can negatively affect your condition.
- Eliminate the asanas that cause discomfort or pressure in the abdomen, as well as poses, for which it is necessary to make a deflection back from the lying position or deep inclines forward.
- If a toddler is too active during his studies and moves a lot, this is an excuse to stop his studies. When repeating the activity of the baby during classes, observe what poses seem uncomfortable to him (when he starts to behave too actively), and further exclude these exercises.
- If you feel excessive tension or fatigue during exercise, stop exercising - do not be too zealous, because classes should bring joy and pleasure, and not exhaust.
- In the 3rd trimester, try to limit the poses or time spent in the lying position. This is due to the fact that in this position there is an inflection of the vena cava and blood circulation worsens, and this can be bad for the baby's condition and the mother's well-being.
- Since the 3rd trimester is considered to be the most traumatic, the exercises need to be performed with additional support, and to leave the asana slowly and smoothly.
Yoga in early pregnancy (1 term)
Yoga in early pregnancy:
- will reduce the manifestations of toxicosis (nausea, dizziness , headaches) and soreness in the lower abdomen,
- will reduce drowsiness,
- help to cope with a feeling of fatigue and frustration, apathy and fear.
In addition, it will allow to stabilize not only the physical, but also the emotional state, because classes during this period emphasize breathing exercises, and they are directed to relaxation, relaxation, awareness of their new position.
While practicing yoga during pregnancy, the woman will learn:
- It is right to relax, while gaining peace of mind and a sense of harmony.
- Learn the technique of breathing for correct behavior during labor in the process of labor.
- It can control your weight from the beginning of pregnancy.
- Learn the right breathing, which will ensure the body oxygen saturation and prevent the development of hypoxia of the fetus.
- Prepare the body for childbirth, having learned to unload the spine and muscles, which in turn will eliminate fatigue and add elasticity and suppleness to the joints, tissues and organs.
With these tasks, asana yoga-nidra for pregnant women is perfect.
However, under certain circumstances in the early stages of pregnancy, yoga can be contraindicated, especially if you have never done yoga before. In this case, the instructor can offer to postpone the beginning of the training for the second trimester - until the pregnancy itself is "fixed", and all the baby's organs will be formed. Until the time when you can begin classes, just spend time in a calm, familiar atmosphere for you - relax, relax, walk in the fresh air.
Yoga in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy
From 16 to 30-34 weeks there is an active period of pregnancy, when all the discomfort and symptoms behind and during the normal course of the process you need to try to move more, learn to own your body, make contact with the baby and accumulate strength and energy.
Doing yoga in the 2nd trimester, you need to take into account the convenience and comfort of the crumbs, and this should be in the first place. All exercises should bring pleasure and benefit, and therefore it will be superfluous to use special rollers or help / support the partner.
In addition, classes should be systematic (only then they will be of use), but at the same time they should not be too long.
Yoga in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy
The main task in this period is relaxation and mastery of the generic breathing.
The entire third trimester (after 34-35 weeks of pregnancy) is aimed at rest and preparation for the forthcoming birth, and therefore because of the increased volume of the tummy, many asanas are excluded, and to facilitate the remaining exercises as assistants (to support the body) used a variety of pillows, blankets, rollers.
During the 3rd trimester, doing yoga, you should exclude:
- asanas performed lying on your stomach;
- asanas performed in torsion and deep slopes;
- some inverted poses;
- postures in the position lying on the back (due to deterioration of blood circulation, and at the same time it is fraught with fetal hypoxia and syncope of the mother).
Do the rest of the yoga exercises (in the position, lying on your side, or at the support), try to enter, change position and exit the asanas gradually - smoothly and gently. The most useful at this stage will be postures performed in the standing position, which stabilize the hormonal background. Regular exercises and correctly performed exercises:
- help you increase the elasticity of the pelvic floor muscles,
- will teach you to control your psycho-emotional background, will practice the rhythmic breathing skill, which generates an anesthetic effect during childbirth,
- remove a number of unpleasant symptoms (such as slowed blood circulation, tightness in the sacrum and lower back, constipation, anxiety and nervousness).
If you find it difficult to attend group sessions, then you can use video instructions designed specifically for this period of pregnancy.
Only 10-15 years ago, on the question of whether it is possible to practice yoga during pregnancy, many conflicting opinions would be expressed, most of which would be of a negative nature. Nowadays, almost nobody doubts the benefits of yoga, and therefore for the convenience of future mothers, specialized yoga centers are opened, where, under the supervision of professional and experienced instructors, one can not only get qualified advice and video material for home training, but also engage in both groups , and on an individual schedule.
But, however that may be, Yoga (as well as any other kind of sports) it is necessary to be engaged with pleasure and with positive emotions. If yoga is for you, like serving a duty, and you go there only because it's "fashionable" or "advised by friends," then it's better to choose another type of exercise, for example, swimming (it is also extremely useful for pregnant women).
Health to you and your future baby!