After the birth of a child, many of the changes that have taken place with the female body in 9 months are reversed - involution, reverse development takes place. And when the childbearing function is restored, the menstruation will resume. But this does not mean that a woman can become pregnant again and give birth, especially if she was given a cesarean section. More precisely, it can, but such an outcome is extremely undesirable and even dangerous. Doctors recommend planning the next pregnancy not earlier than in 3 years. Therefore, one should think about contraception immediately after cesarean, without waiting for the first menstruation. However, this is a completely different topic - let's return to ours.
Women are interested in the question of when menstrual periods begin after cesarean section. But here we should immediately clarify two points:
- this question is very individual: different periods for different women are possible within the limits of the norm;
- Cesarean section practically does not affect the timing of the onset of the first menstruation after childbirth, it comes as well as with natural delivery.
The restoration of the female body and reverse changes begin with the departure of the afterbirth. The uterus shrinks all the time and starts to decrease in size quite quickly. Every day it goes down about 1 cm. The uterus returns to the previous size, weight and location by 6-8 weeks after delivery or by cesarean section, and in some cases (for example, with very active breastfeeding) even becomes slightly less than before delivery. At the same time, the ovaries begin to "wake up", their hormonal functions are gradually completely restored.
A wound forms on the surface of the uterus, which heals and bleeds, which causes specific postpartum discharges - lochia. They cease by 6-8 weeks after birth (do not confuse lochia with menstruation), and for the whole of this period their character (color, smell, intensity) can vary. More on this topic read on our website in the articles of the Allotment after childbirth and Monthly after childbirth.
When the lochia disappears, it should be assumed, that the female organism as close as possible returned to the pre-pregnancy state. Now the newly mum can begin the usual menses, however, often the first after the birth cycle is anovulatory (that is, ovulation does not occur, which means that pregnancy is impossible).
Monthly after caesarean section in all women begin at different times, which depends on a number of factors:
- the course of pregnancy;
- the age of the woman;
- quality of food and rest;
- the general condition of the parturient woman (psychoemotional, the presence of chronic diseases);
- physiological characteristics of the body;
The most beginning of menstruation is determined by the last circumstance - breastfeeding or lack of it. During lactation in the female body, the hormone prolactin is produced intensively, providing a good production of breast milk. But also it suppresses the activity of hormones in the follicles, because of what the ovaries continue to "doze": the ovules for further fertilization do not ripen, and accordingly the men do not come. Nevertheless, this does not mean that this will continue throughout the whole period of breastfeeding. Simply in most cases, these two circumstances - lactation and menstrual cycle - are very closely related.
Gynecologists note the following patterns:
- With active breastfeeding, menstruation may not occur for many months and even more than a year.
- The first months after cesarean section very often come with the introduction of the first complementary foods.
- When the infant is mixed, the first menstruation occurs on average 3-4 months after cesarean.
- If a woman after a cesarean section does not breast feed the baby, the month can come already in the first schedule, that is, 5-8 weeks after birth, but in this case - no later than 2 -3 months.
If you do not fit into this framework, then you should not look for any pathologies. However, the first visit after a birth to the gynecologist should take place no later than in 2-3 months. In the absence of menstruation, you need to contact a gynecologist.
The medical examination will not hurt even in the event that six months after the resumption of menstruation, their regularity did not improve. Until this time, menstrual cycling can normally be disturbed. By the way, after the birth, the menstrual cycle in many women is "leveled": it becomes more regular, close to the "ideal", and premenstrual pains often disappear or become less intense.
Despite the fact that there are no special differences in the timing of the onset of menstruation after cesarean section, gynecologists do not notice, postoperative recovery may last a little longer, and therefore the monthly ones may also come later. A longer involution is observed in women who give birth not for the first time and are weakened, who give birth for the first time at the age of more than 30 years, in whom pregnancy or childbirth passed with disorders or pathologies. An invalid postpartum regimen and other factors may delay the involution. Monthly after cesarean section comes later, if there is an infectious inflammatory process. The seam can also be an obstacle to the rapid recovery of the uterus.
If you notice any violations, you should see a doctor. To accelerate the planned campaign to the gynecologist after cesarean section, if:
- in the absence of breastfeeding, the monthly ones did not begin after 3 months after the birth;
- renewed menstrual periods go too long (6 or more days) or very few (1-2 days);
- Menstrual discharge is very scarce or on the contrary - abundant (when one gasket lasts less than 4-5 hours);
- at the end or at the beginning of each period you mark prolonged spotting spotting;
- menstrual discharge has a sharp unpleasant odor;
- after 6 months from the start of the first postpartum period, the schedule remains irregular.
Please note that a full meal, rest, sleep and a favorable emotional atmosphere contribute to a faster and easier recovery after delivery. Try to provide yourself these conditions as far as possible.
Be healthy and happy!