By the way, it is rumored that oxytocin also affects human psychology. In particular, it forms the mother's attachment to the child immediately after birth, causes benevolent attitude towards people, more trust and even participates in love!
On how much in the body of oxytocin, does not affect the menstrual cycle. Yes, and in the course of pregnancy little changes. Maximally it is produced by the end of pregnancy and especially at night, which is why birth often begins at night. The peak concentration of this hormone is birth.
In medical practice, artificially synthesized oxytocin is used. Enter it, as a rule, intramuscularly or intravenously. Less often - subcutaneously, because with oral administration it is quickly deactivated by enzymes in the gastrointestinal tract.
Enter the drug, usually to enhance the contractile activity of the uterus in the weakness of labor. The effect of the artificially produced hormone is manifested in 3-5 minutes, and lasts about 3 hours. Before the fetus gets a small amount of the hormone, and therefore - does not have a special effect.
The hormone acts increases the strength and duration of contractions, the more the cervix is ??opened - the more sensitive it is to oxytocin. To the hormone can be entered, the neck should be ready: sufficiently softened, shortened, with a slightly opened channel. When the phase of delivery is active - oxytocin is more effective. Let's say that if the cervix is ??open at 6 cm or more. Oxytocin is also used when the fights are loosened, the back view of the occipital presentation, or - if you need to turn the baby.
Oxytocin is given ONLY if the fetal membranes are opened or self-torn.
According to obstetricians, oxytocin should be prescribed only for medicinal purposes. Stimulation of labor for the speedy completion of labor of a normal pregnancy, performed either at her request or at the request of a doctor - without any reason - is categorically unacceptable.
Oxytocin is prescribed in such cases:
- To stimulate generic activity. In case there is a risk of complications in the mother or fetus during delivery. For example, with premature discharge of amniotic fluid or in the absence of fights.
- If a woman has a progressive gestosis, and this threatens both the mother and the baby.
- Expressed Rh-conflict (antibodies that destroy the red blood cells of the fetus can be produced in the mother's body).
- To stimulate or reinforce ancestral activity, when the birth activity has been weakened repeatedly or weakened. It is not excluded that after birth oxytocin will also be prescribed: in case the uterus after birth is reduced insufficiently quickly or with the preventive purpose of postpartum uterine bleeding, for example. But appoint it after childbirth is not so often, because a synthetic hormone can substitute in the body for a woman to develop her own. And this has a negative effect on lactation. The best way not to use oxytocin is to feed as often as possible a newborn: milk will come, and accordingly - the uterus will shrink more often.
Oxytocin is contraindicated:
- When to give birth in a natural way is impossible. If the size of the pelvis of the woman and the head of the baby do not match, or the fruit is large, or it may have hydrocephalus, or it is incorrectly located, or if there are problems with the umbilical cord.
- If there are scars on the uterus.
- With a threatening rupture of the uterus.
- With the immature cervix of the uterus.
- If there is a cervical tumor, atresia, cicatricial changes that prevent the opening of the cervix.
- If the woman is too sensitive to oxytocin.
- Carefully consider the question of the appointment of oxytocin in case of multiple pregnancy or uterine myoma.
- If the baby has hypoxia, then the need to administer oxytocin is also specifically studied by physicians.
A lot of oxytocin is injected so that the rate of opening of the cervix is ??the same as during normal delivery, for both mother and fetus excessive stimulation of uterine contractions is very dangerous. The drug starts to be injected with a few drops and adjusted to a dose of dozens of drops per minute to establish vigorous generic activity. When the goal is achieved, the amount of solution added is minimized. If the dosage is incorrect, the contractions may become more frequent and longer. If oxytocin is not applied correctly, the fetus may also worsen, increased risk of birth trauma, premature placental abruption, atony of the uterus and postpartum hemorrhage. A kid can get less oxygen, the probability of birth injuries may increase.
By the way, many believe that doctors are abused in maternity homes with oxytocin and that without it the birth will take place though for a longer time, but less painful and natural.
By the way, oxytocin is the first hormone that has been artificially synthesized. The scientist who made this discovery, for this was awarded the Nobel Prize. American scientist-chemist Vincent Du Vignot in 1953 studied the structure of oxytocin. A year later, he synthesized it in artificial conditions outside the living organism. Now doctors use only synthetic oxytocin, although they used to synthesize from animals.