Planning pregnancy after 40 years
For the onset of a woman's pregnancy of 40 and older, there are a number of favorable circumstances. First and foremost, this is the strengthening of the material situation and stability in the family. Very often this is not the first child, and the second pregnancy and the dream to give birth is not just a second child, but to have children of different sexes. By the way, the desires of future parents to give birth to a brother for the elder daughter or sister to a matured son are very strong. And in the third pregnancy, ladies at the older age appear more likely to end with childbirth, when older children are same-sex.
First, we will focus on the physiological aspects of pregnancy in a woman at such a mature age. First of all, that the stock of ovarian follicles is already decreasing, as is the production of estrogen by the body of the hormone. Ovulation in women occurs much less often, and accordingly the chances of conceiving a child at this age are reduced. The uterus undergoes changes. It grows old and therefore the risk of miscarriage increases.
But the achievements of modern medicine can help a woman to realize the dream of becoming a mother if, for a number of reasons, this did not happen or there is a desire to give birth to a second, third child.
Some women even in the forty follow their own, maintain a physical form and are quite capable of giving birth to the baby themselves. Thus it is necessary to consider that the chances of conception increase 12-14 days before the onset of menstruation, that is, during the period of ovulation. This time is approximately, because at this age the cycle can already fluctuate and it is influenced by stresses and other factors more than before. With irregular menstruation, it is difficult to calculate the ideal day for conception. You need to do this with the help of tests for ovulation, sold in pharmacies. You can also conduct ultrasound. Determining the right day, it is necessary that the future dad should be ready for this important moment. His sperm should be healthy. It is recommended to abstain from sex three days before the future conception.
If pregnancy is long-awaited
It should be noted and the cases when women use their last chance to become pregnant at this age. This is the only remaining opportunity to become pregnant through in vitro fertilization (IVF). This chance is used by women with a diagnosis of "primary infertility." Today doctors ask women not to delay infertility treatment & bdquo; then & rdquo; and use the possibilities of IVF at an early age. After all, a young woman to endure and give birth to a baby after IVF has more chances.
A woman at 40 with infertility at the age of twenty had no opportunity to benefit from IVF, and the development of medicine and reproductive technologies led to an increase in the number of late pregnancies, births and young mothers aged.
The joy of expecting motherhood at this age is the same for those who wear the first child, and for women with a second, third pregnancy. The charms and advantages of motherhood are indisputably good, but one must be prepared for all risks, the consequences of this step, weigh everything well before planning a pregnancy at a late age.
Pregnancy after 40 years: risks
So, with the onset of conception in a woman for 40 and at her desire to endure and give birth to a baby, you need to consider the risks for her and for the future child. Let's start with the problems and complications for a woman who thinks, decides on this step in the life-saving step in life or not.
We list all the possible risks for a future mother:
- Miscarriage. With age, the chances of not tolerating a baby increase in all women, even absolutely healthy. So, up to thirty, the risk of miscarriage according to statistics is 10% of all pregnancies, up to 39 years - 17%, and in women 40-44 years it increases to 33%. This is due to the aging of the eggs themselves, so the conception of the child can occur with genetic abnormalities.
- Placental problems. In the adult age of a future mother, placental insufficiency, placenta previa or its premature detachment is more often observed.
- Exacerbation of chronic diseases. Women, who today feel great at the age of 40, support the form and undergo regular medical examinations, there is much less than those who at that age already have & bdquo; bouquet & rdquo; diseases. At the onset of pregnancy, any chronic disease can become aggravated. Of course, constant medical control requires pregnancy against the backdrop of chronic kidney disease in women. The observant physician should pay the same attention to the mother with diseases of the cardiovascular system, especially with arterial hypertension. It in itself is a frequent companion of pregnancy, and when pregnancy occurs against the background of this problem, the risk of preeclampsia or preeclampsia increases. This condition is characterized by increased pressure, swelling, the presence of protein in the urine. A serious manifestation of gestosis is convulsions or eclampsia, capable of leading a woman even before the stroke and coma.
- Diabetes. At women for 40 years the diabetes of pregnant women considerably more often develops. It requires a strict diet and special appointments. Approximately 15% of pregnant women at this age prescribe injectable insulin. They have increased chances of premature birth and special damage to the child - diabetic fetopathy, stillbirth.
- The chance of multiple pregnancies. It should be noted that at the age of 35-39 years the chance of twin birth increases, and with it complications in the process of childbirth itself. This may be a risk of soft tissue rupture, weakness of labor, bleeding.
- Cesarean section. In primiparous mothers at the age of 40, the chances of delivery with caesarean section are 40%. If the age is over 40 years, then this percentage is 47. By comparison: up to 30 years only 14% of all pregnant women give birth with caesarean section.
Now let's talk about all the risks for the future child. Among them, doctors call the most important:
- premature birth;
- small weight of the baby;
- danger of hypoxia (oxygen deficiency) in childbirth;
- the risk of chromosomal abnormalities.
With the increase in the age of both parents, the risk of the appearance of a girl or boy with different chromosomal abnormalities is significantly increased. The reasons for this increase are not fully understood, but among them aging of the sex cells and a greater influence of pathogenic factors and toxic substances on the mother. It is necessary to know the future parents and the indicators of the probability of the birth of a child with Down syndrome. So, in 25 years this is one chance out of 1250, 30 years old - 1 of 952, 35 - 1 of 378, 40 - 1 of 106, 45 - 1 of 30, and 49 - 1 of 11! A significant risk, is not it? This is what parents are most afraid of at the age.
Prenatal diagnosis in the service of parents
Medicine has excellent examples of the birth of healthy children in women at the age of fifty. More than 90% of these ladies have the chance to give birth to a healthy child.
Statistics show that 97% of the fair sex after forty years of age who have undergone prenatal studies get the confidence that the likelihood of having a full-fledged baby is as high as that of young women. In our time, the development of prenatal diagnostics makes it possible for the future father and mother to qualitatively examine the baby at an early gestation period, revealing, and often excluding, deviations from normal development. Such examinations, of course, will not interfere with young mothers, but those who fall into the risk group, must take advantage of the chance of passing a medical and genetic consultation. Doctors state: the flowering and the level of prenatal diagnostics caused the growth of the number of elderly mothers. And this is understandable, because with her help a woman acquires confidence in her ability to endure and give birth after forty years of a healthy son or daughter.
So, the desire to have a child after forty years is always fraught with risks for both mother and future baby. But if this is the last chance for women, then the desire to use it is understandable and understandable given the level of development of prenatal diagnosis. An important role in the birth of a healthy child is played by the mutual desire of future parents. A belief in success and & bdquo; obedience & rdquo; Mom in the process of bearing will help to make the dream come true.