How correctly to measure the temperature after delivery?
The arrival to the breasts of the first milk is almost always accompanied by a slight increase in body temperature, therefore, measuring it in the usual way (in the armpit), you will almost certainly notice inflated indices. So that it does not confuse the young mother, doctors recommend measuring the temperature after birth rectally or in the elbow fold. Naturally, the norm will be somewhat different:
But no matter how you measure the temperature after childbirth, this must necessarily be done in order not to miss a possible complication or violation. In the postpartum period, a woman may be in for a lot of trouble.
Physiological increase in temperature
In fact, the temperature after childbirth is increased in almost all young mothers. First, the body is in some stress from the experience. Secondly, during labor, he loses a lot of fluid (with normal natural births - up to 8 liters!). Thirdly, there is a powerful hormonal splash during childbirth. And, fourthly, milk begins to arrive, which causes a physiological rise in temperature. As the little one will empty the mother's breast, her condition will be relieved, and the body temperature will decrease somewhat. But if your sucker is not very active, then you will have to take extra care of your chest. To prevent the formation of stagnant milk (in medicine this is called lactostasis), the breast must be massaged and expressed. It should be soft and empty on time. With lactostasis, the body temperature of a woman can rise to 39 А C. C, but after feeding or pumping, there is obvious relief.
When to see a doctor?
Unfortunately, milk is by no means the only possible culprit for raising body temperature after childbirth. During this period, diseases can develop, which in addition to elevated temperature you will be given the following symptoms:
- Mastitis - body temperature above 40 А C. With, weakness, headaches, the breast increases and hurts, the skin hot and reddened, palpations are palpated. After expressing relief, the condition does not come.
- Endometriosis - the body temperature rises 3-4 days after birth until 38-39 б, there is no appetite, sleep is disturbed, the uterus hurts when examined. Postpartum discharge increases or decreases in volume, grow turbid, smell bad and change color.
- Parametritis - the temperature rises on the 10th -12th day, chills, pains in the lower abdomen, abnormalities and soreness of urination and defecation are possible.
- Pyelonephritis - body temperature rises to 40, sudden general malaise, pain in the lower back, painful urination, stool.
- Thrombophlebitis - body temperature can rise to high marks, accompanied by chills, reddened swollen blood vessels ache, the leg may swell.
- Postpartum ulcer - the temperature rises about two weeks after birth, which is accompanied by pain and burning sensation in the genital area. The affected area is covered with a purulent coating, reddens and swells.
- Pelvoeperitonitis - very high temperature 2-3 weeks after delivery, severe chills, nausea, vomiting, sharp pains in the lower abdomen, poor health.
- ARVI - lacrimation, runny nose, cough, headache, body aches.
There are other possible causes of fever after delivery: stress, depression, allergic reactions, hormonal fluctuations & hellip; It is very important to measure it daily so as not to miss a disease or postpartum complication. Body temperature is an important indicator of the health and condition of a young mother. So keep it under control. Measure the temperature every day in any case, and with fever, abdominal pain, perineum or chest - urgently!
If the body temperature after delivery is maintained at 38 А C, With and above within days and it is more, it is necessary to address to the doctor.