According to statistics, every second woman experiences pain of a different nature and localization in the postpartum period. And very often - it's back pain after childbirth.
Who is to blame?
Complaints about the fact, that the back hurts after sorts or labors, at all are frequent, and, basically, anything surprising in it or this is not present. The reasons for the occurrence of such pain in young mothers are just enough, and the legs of most of them grow from the period of pregnancy.
The most frequent and "legitimate" are the multiple changes that the mother's organism undergoes during and after childbirth. In the first place, this is an excessive stretching of the muscle tissue and a divergence of the bone. As the fetus and uterus grow, the abdominal muscles stretch more and more, the internal organs move farther, the ligaments holding them are stretched, many of which are attached to the spine, and this causes pain in the back after childbirth.
Overstretch of the abdominal muscles leads to a shortening of the muscles of the waist, causing them to be in a stressed state and causing pain, which increases with muscle tension (slopes, squats, lifting weights).
Many organs due to "pregnant" changes take the wrong location. Thus, the kidneys located on the lumbosacral muscle in the abdominal cavity, during the period of pregnancy and after childbirth, can turn or fall. This causes dull pain in the lower back, which can give down - in the perineal region or leg.
What is already talk about the divergence of bones before childbirth and in the birth itself: the hips and pubic bones move apart, and the tailbone retreats posteriorly - so nature protects the baby from probable birth trauma. Naturally, all these processes do not pass painlessly, and throughout the recovery period the newly mum can experience pain, including in the back. Often, they are caused by birth trauma (in particular, the displacement of joints), which nevertheless women can not avoid.
Everyone knows that during pregnancy, the posture changes, which after birth must necessarily be restored. A tremendous role is played also by enormous loads on the vertebral-sacral department, which the young mother experiences in the first time after the birth of the child. Feeding, bathing, changing clothes, carrying a baby, stroller and bags, cleaning and other troubles only aggravate the situation, and the back after giving birth hurts even more. If the mother's posture and pregnancy were far from ideal, then problems with the back and waist can practically not be avoided.
The recovery period for each of us requires an unequal time - from several hours to several months after the birth of the baby. But not always pain in the back after birth is itself. Experts say that it is impossible to suffer back pain, if only because the causes that cause it can cause multiple health problems: lactostasis, fluid retention in the body and as a consequence - a set of excess weight, a violation of the internal organs. By the way, here there is also a feedback: diseases associated with internal organs, can also provoke back pain after childbirth. In general, it is necessary to pass the diagnosis and find the cause.
So if you have a backache after giving birth, then you need to contact a specialist. In many cases, their assistance can not be avoided, in particular, the intervertebral hernia must be treated, and the better for the mother herself, than before.
What should I do?
The first one to help you will be a manual therapist. Not a masseur, namely a manual or an osteopath. However, his help will be necessary only if the pain in the back after childbirth is associated with the departure of the coccyx or other bones. Perhaps the doctor will send you to an MRI to make sure that there is no intervertebral hernia. If necessary, he will prescribe an x-ray, an ultrasound scan of internal organs and other additional studies, including laboratory tests.
For the treatment of back pain after delivery, physiotherapy procedures are used, exercise therapy. Drug treatment is rarely used because of breastfeeding.
And at home it will be useful to follow the following recommendations, if the back hurts after childbirth (and also to prevent the appearance of such pains):
- During 5-6 months after birth, try to avoid any physical exertion, as far as it is possible at all. During this period, your body recovers from pregnancy and childbirth, and the muscles remain very vulnerable.
- Once the doctor allows you, start doing gymnastics for postnatal recovery. Increase the load gradually. Practice every day!
- Adjust in such a way that care of the newborn does not cause excessive exertion of the lumbar region and back. A cot, changing table, a bath should be at a level convenient for you, so as not to bend down. Drawing gravity (stroller, water, products and including - to carry the child) entrust relatives and relatives.
- Use a sling if you are forced to wear your baby yourself.
- Squat, and do not bend over before raising an older child or anything. Keep your back straight. In this way, you will transfer the load to your feet.
- If you need to bend down, then instead kneel or squat.
- Find the most comfortable and safe back position for feeding. It is extremely important: during the feeding you (and especially your back) should rest, and not strain! Use different pillows, stand under your feet, try to feed, lying on your side.
- Use a squeegee to clean floors.
- Wear a post-partum bandage or muscle corset, if you do not have any contraindications to this.
- Try to stay with the child to allow the back to relax and relieve tension.
- Sleep on a hard mattress.
- If you gain weight during pregnancy, start gradually getting rid of it, after consulting about it with your doctor. The calorie content of the daily menu of a losing lactating mother on average should not exceed 2000 kcal, but this is very relative. It is by no means impossible to be undernourished now.
But the best thing is to strengthen the spinal muscles in advance before pregnancy. Consider this for the future.