A dry cough is a cough, in which the sputum is either not excreted or excreted, but in a very scarce amount. That is why doctors call such a cough unproductive. To make it productive (that is, wet or wet, with sputum), mucus should form. And while it is not there, you will suffer from a dry cough, often hysterical and debilitating.
To relieve the patient's condition, a dry cough should be reassured. To do this, traditionally used antitussives, soothing mucous, resulting in a dry cough is suspended and turns into wet.
Causes of dry cough
There are many causes that cause a dry cough. These are various diseases (measles, whooping cough, sinusitis, tuberculosis and others), allergic exacerbations and the initial stage of acute respiratory infections.
In pregnancy, a dry cough often occurs just for the last reason, and is often accompanied by a runny nose, fever and other symptoms of ARVI. Wait until the cough becomes wet, not worth it for several reasons. Dry cough causes severe discomfort, does not allow sleeping, it is normal to breathe, and the stomach is constantly under its influence. After all, coughing shortens the ligaments and muscles tighten. And this is not just painful or unpleasant, but it can also be dangerous: with a presentation and a low location of the placenta, a dry cough can provoke bleeding. Therefore, it must be treated, or rather - to calm.
Treatment of dry cough during pregnancy
As we said, you can do this with antitussive drugs. As a rule, they also have analgesic, calming and weak spasmolytic effect. Only carefully read the ingredients of the drug. It should not contain any narcotic substances (for example, codeine or morphine). And in general, use the golden rule when choosing medicines: during pregnancy, only those drugs that are allowed for children under three years of age can be used.
But since taking any medications, even the most innocuous, during pregnancy and especially in the first trimester is extremely undesirable, it is better to try to solve the problem with improvised means, that is, traditional medicine methods.
Here everything depends on the characteristics of your body (in particular, on the tolerability of certain components) and on how much you are interested in finding a harmless effective medicine.
First aid for dry cough are inhalations: the effect is instantaneous. It soothes the inhalation of boiled potato vapors (preferably in uniforms), baking soda or alkaline mineral water. But you can make a vegetable decoction. With a dry cough for inhalations use broths of chamomile, sage, watch three-leaved, plantain, St. John's wort, lime-colored.
Regarding inhalations, it is good if there is a nebulizer or inhaler for these purposes. But you can and grandfather way: using a paper funnel or a kettle. Breath directly over the pan, too, you can, but keep in mind that with increased arterial pressure, this method is contraindicated. And never do inhalation over boiling water: start to inhale after 5 minutes after boiling water.
Herbal decoctions are useful not only for carrying out inhalations. There are many recipes with herbs that help alleviate dry cough:
- Boil 3 liters of water, put 500 g of wheat or rye bran, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, strain. Sweeten with burnt sugar. The whole portion of the broth should be drunk during the day, but certainly hot. Effective remedy for a strong, debilitating cough.
- Tear 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds into a powder and mix with 50 ml of warm milk. To drink at once. Infusion relieves pain in the chest, softens the cough.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of pine buds 1 cup of boiling water, insist, wrapped, 40 minutes, drain. Take 1-2 sips at the urge to cough. It helps right away.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of lime blossom and 2 tablespoons of thyme flowers, pour 1 liter of boiling water, insist on boiling water bath for 15-20 minutes. Take with a very strong cough with honey. It is advisable to drink a large dose for the evening, since the infusion has a calming effect.
- Take in equal parts leaves of plantain large, cinnamon cinnamon fruits, spring primrose flowers, chamomile flowers. Two tablespoons brewed with two glasses of boiling water, 20 minutes heated in a water bath and another half an hour to insist under the lid in the heat, drain. Take a third of the glass 3-4 times a day, you can sweeten with honey.
- Mix in equal proportions pine buds, large plantain leaves, chamomile flowers and herb-coltsfoot. Two tablespoons of the ground mixture to brew with two glasses of boiling water, 20 minutes to warm in a water bath, drain. Take warm in half a glass 3 times a day.
- Mix equally the fruits of anise and fennel, flax seed and thyme herb. A tablespoon of the mixture pour a glass of cooled boiled water and press for 2 hours, then bring the infusion to a boil, cool, strain. Take a third cup 3 times a day.
- 1 tablespoon chopped root of althea medicinal to insist in a glass of cold water during the night (8-10 hours), drain. Take a third cup 3 times a day.
- Brew a glass of boiling water, like tea, in a porcelain teapot 2 tablespoons of clover meadow flowers, insist 15 minutes. Drink warm in half a glass 3-4 times a day, you can with honey.
- Boil a 0.5-liter milk of medium-sized onion and add a spoonful of honey. Use this mixture for the night. Milk is made very tasty, the onions do not smell at all, and even children easily drink it. Dry cough after it becomes softer and faster passes.
- 1 tablespoon of thyme pour a glass of boiling water, insist one hour under the lid and drain. Take a tablespoon 3 times a day.
Rather, to turn a dry cough into a productive one will help warm milk with a small amount of baking soda: a quarter teaspoon of soda to a glass. You can also dilute the milk half with mineral water or drink traditional milk with honey.
You can calm a painful dry cough by rinsing your throat. The procedure should be followed after a meal or in between meals. To do this, you can use the following fees.
- In equal parts, mix and crush the herbs of medicinal sage, the grass of eucalyptus and the flowers of calendula officinalis. A tablespoon of the mixture is brewed with a glass of boiling water and another 10 minutes warmed under a lid in a water bath, not leading up to a boil, then strain. Use warm. Infusion retains its medicinal properties only 3-4 hours.
- In the equal parts, mix the leaves of raspberry, the mother-and-stepmother's grass, peppermint grass, chamomile flowers, the althea root of the medicinal, the pine buds, the leaves of the angustifolia and the clover of the meadow. A tablespoon of the ground mixture should be poured with a glass of boiling water and another 15 minutes heated in a water bath under the lid. Pour the infusion into the thermos and insist 2 hours, strain.
- Dilute half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water.
- With a strong cough, apple cider vinegar will help. 1 tablespoon of vinegar pour into 0, 5 liters of warm boiled water. Gargle after every 2 hours.
Do not forget that a dry cough provokes dry air in the room. And therefore, watch for its optimum humidity. If there is no air humidifier, put a wet towel on the battery. You can also moisten the air by spraying water or at least arrange the dishes with water. Alas, no one canceled regular wet cleanings. And maybe you and not to cleanliness in the house, but to breathe it became easier - it is desirable to wash the floors.
Undoubtedly, before treating a dry cough during pregnancy, it is necessary for the doctor to establish its cause. And only the doctor should prescribe you treatment during this period. Non-medicamentous - including.