In some cases, before the birth (at around 34-36 weeks), the doctor may appoint a fourth ultrasound. Basically, its purpose is to determine the course of childbirth - whether it will be a natural process or will have to resort to caesarean section.
At the moment in obstetrics there is no more exact method of research, which by information could be compared with ultrasound. Ultrasound research has long gone beyond the additional method in obstetrics and has become one of the main. Among the most significant advantages of ultrasound, doctors distinguish safety, painlessness and high information content.
When do you use ultrasound?
During pregnancy, a large number of situations can occur in which an ultrasound will be able to help understand and decide on further actions. In addition, it is extremely important for the management of pregnancy to know if weight, height and other parameters of the fetus are appropriate for the period of its development. In general, ultrasound during pregnancy is most often performed for:
- diagnosis of pregnancy;
- determine the age of the fetus;
- diagnosis of congenital anomalies;
- determining the position of the fetus;
- Diagnosis of multiple pregnancies.
The ultrasound mode for ultrasound is safe for the future mother and her baby. This is confirmed by clinical studies and many years of experience in the use of ultrasound in the management of pregnancy. But the obvious remains the fact that this method of diagnosis should be used only according to the doctor's prescription, and not guided by one's own desire.
Conduct ultrasound during pregnancy should be tried in strictly regulated terms (when its diagnostic value is particularly high). Individual schedule of ultrasound for each pregnant woman is a gynecologist.
Two, three or four dimensions?
Initially, only two-dimensional conventional ultrasound is performed, in which you will see a flat picture on the screen, similar to a black and white photograph, and you can hardly "read" any information from it. A detailed description and decoding of everything seen on the monitor will be given only by a specialist who performed ultrasound.
Is there a big difference between 3D and 4D ultrasound?
And 3D ultrasound, and 4D - almost the same thing. The difference between them is only that during the 4D ultrasound during pregnancy to the height, length and depth of the picture, time is added as the fourth measurement. Unlike a static three-dimensional image, the four-dimensional shows the fruit in real time in motion, while you can record everything seen on any medium. By the way, most ultrasonic devices that work in 3D mode, can also be used in the 4D-dimension.
When you perform 4D ultrasound in pregnancy, you will see a volumetric and color image, and even the appearance of your baby with the slightest details.
Pros and cons of US 4D in pregnancy
Such a modern method of diagnosis, of course, hasmany advantages. But at the same time he does not lack any shortcomings.
Among the advantages of 4D ultrasound, we can distinguish the following:
- due to 3D images, we can examine in more detail some of the smallest structures that are hard to investigate in the usual two-dimensional mode;
- understand the image obtained with 4D ultrasound, much easier;
- When carrying out a four-dimensional ultrasound study, additional information is of special value for diagnosing external developmental anomalies: you will dispel all doubts when you count all your fingers on small legs and arms, make sure there are no other external malformations. By the way, it is the suspicion of any deviations and may be an indication for conducting 4D ultrasound;
- thanks to 4D ultrasound the doctor will be able to evaluate the fetus as a whole and various parts of its body simultaneously in three projections, which is important for detecting anomalies in prenatal development;
- Thanks to the data of this four-dimensional study, you will receive additional information necessary for the diagnosis of developmental anomalies: the face, limbs and spinal column. With this ultrasound, you can clearly see the sex of the baby;
- the power and intensity of the ultrasonic wave, as well as the scanning frequency, are exactly the same as in the usual study;
- you can assess the facial expressions of the baby, so you will see what emotions he is experiencing - joy, grief or apathy. You can easily understand his feelings. It is not a secret that, that good development of the fetus is helped by good emotions, but bad emotions will help to reflect on the serious problems experienced by the child. For example, the depressed apathetic condition of the fetus can signal asphyxia - insufficient intake of oxygen, which is why a number of problems are possible. Distorted from pain, the baby's face can "tell" about the wrong development of the internal organs, which causes him pain;
- future parents will be able to record everything seen on DVD or CD media in 3D mode, and also have the ability to make digital photos.
Disadvantages of US 4D in pregnancy:
- if you do not need more than 15 minutes for a conventional ultrasound, the three-dimensional measurement will take up to 45-50 minutes;
- With 4D ultrasound, there are restrictions, related to the position of the fetus in the womb of the future mother, with the terms of pregnancy, etc.
So easy to understand expectant mothers who are eager to see the face of her baby, immediately try to determine who he looks like & hellip;
Sometimes the degree of temptation also increases the medical indications for ultrasound. But do not forget that everything requires a reasonable approach - you need to know clearly what indications and what will be used for US 4D pregnancy.
Do not abuse the frequency of ultrasound tests conducted during the period of gestation. Do not do this again just to look at the child again. Remember that there are other methods to control the fetal condition of the fetus.