Usual for us in ordinary life, broths and infusions, which we usually use as herbal teas or teas with additives, can have a negative impact on the health of the mother, on the intrauterine development of the baby, and even cause a threat of miscarriage, premature birth or abortion. And so you need to know what herbs are best for not using during pregnancy.
Herbs that affect blood clotting
Some herbs can not be drunk during pregnancy, as they affect the process of blood clotting and therefore during labor can lead to the risk of bleeding. Such a property is possessed by:
- a medicinal blood groove that is used in the treatment of respiratory and digestive organs;
- immortelle - causes an increase in blood pressure;
- corn stigmas used as a choleretic and diuretic;
- nettle - breaks the level of hormones;
- Common ragwort - leads to increased heart rate, causes dry mouth and is carcinogenic;
- Highlander bird - has a strong effect on blood coagulability and leads to a contraction of the uterus, which can cause miscarriage.
Herbs that cause complications during pregnancy
A lot of herbs cause unpleasant symptoms, such as heartburn, flatulence, nausea and vomiting. In order not to expose yourself to such "acute sensations", try to avoid the use of such herbs: Valerian drug, which is used for the normal functioning of the nervous system. With prolonged use (longer than 2 weeks) or at high dosages, headaches may occur, disorders of the heart and digestive organs, nervous state.
A number of herbs can cause a violation of the hormonal background of the pregnant woman, and among them:
- dandelion medicinal;
- Eleutherococcus is spiny;
- ordinary ginseng;
- Rhodiola rosea;
- Leuzea safflower;
- Chinese magnolia vine;
- Common hops that can be prescribed in the treatment of kidneys and diseases of the nervous system;
- Yarrow (due to its virulence can cause dizziness and skin rashes);
- Melissa officinalis, which is prescribed for nervous disorders and to increase lactation to nursing mothers;
- a leaf of a walnut can still cause spasms of cerebral vessels;
- Black currant, used as a choleretic agent, a source of vitamins, as well as for the treatment of colds;
- goose goatee, used as a diuretic and hemostatic. In addition to the fact that the aforementioned herbs can disrupt the hormonal background of a pregnant woman, they also stimulate the sex glands, can cause insomnia, tachycardia, headaches, nervousness and increased blood pressure.
To increase blood pressure, the use of such herbs can also result:
- St. John's wort (it helps narrow the blood vessels and disrupt the blood circulation in the placenta);
- Licorice naked (contributes to the appearance of swelling due to water retention in the body);
- Sandless immortelle (used in the treatment of diseases of the liver and gallbladder).
During pregnancy, due to adverse effects on the kidneys, it is necessary to avoid the use of:
- the aura of the marsh,
- madder dyeing, li>
- rhododendron golden,
- cornflower blue,
- celery odorous,
- elecampane high, li >
- juniper berries.
Promotes an increase in muscle tone and increases the sensitivity to pain, the use of an ordinary mardin.
Because of the subsequent delay in water in the body, especially in the third trimester, one should not take a pregnant woman with an infusion of birch fungus (chaga).
Herbs that can harm the fetus
Herbs can harm the developing fetus, and therefore the future mum should refrain from eating:
- Sea kale (kelp) - excessive use of it is fraught with oversaturation of iodine, which can lead to incorrect development of the fetus;
- rhubarb Tangut - it has a laxative and choleretic effect, but the high content of oxalic acid in it can lead to poor development of the bone tissue of the baby;
- garden spinach and sorrel ordinary - also because of the high content in the plants of oxalic acid, leading to a violation of the development of bone tissue of the fetus;
- The three-part sequence, which is usually included in the fees for the treatment of skin diseases and is used as a diaphoretic and diuretic, can cause the future child to develop allergic manifestations;
- wild strawberry, the leaves of which can also provoke allergic reactions in the child, and in addition can cause interruption of pregnancy or premature birth.
Toxic to the fetus:
Causes violations of the placental circulation, which reduces the provision of the fetus with nutrients and oxygen, hyssop medicinal and sage.
Herbs of abortive action
There are plants that can cause fetal fading, abortion or premature birth. To avoid miscarriage or its threat during pregnancy, it is strictly forbidden to use:
- Aloe vera - is part of the collection of herbs for the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, enhance immunity and improve appetite.
- Barberry common - is part of the collection of herbs to combat anemia (increase hemoglobin levels), improve appetite and stimulate the liver and gallbladder.
- Oregano officinalis - used to increase appetite, treatment of diseases of the nervous and digestive systems.
- Wild strawberries are used to increase hemoglobin, treat kidneys and eliminate digestive problems, but it can cause increased uterine tone.
- Hyssop officinalis - is part of sedative and gastric collections, increases hemoglobin, but also increases the tone of the uterus.
- The buckthorn is brittle - it is used for a stomach ulcer and as a laxative.
- Lyubistok medicinal - can be a part of seasonings and spices, diuretic, expectorant, analgesic and soothing.
- Parsley curry - is used as a diuretic, with problems with digestion and menstrual cycle disorders.
- Tansy - used to increase hemoglobin, treatment of headaches, the removal of chronic stress, but increases blood pressure and tone of the uterus.
- Tangut rhubarb - used in cholagogue, laxatives.
- Radish seed - for pregnant women is harmful, but nursing mothers are very useful.
- Spore - it's poisonous! Strictly forbidden during pregnancy.
- Garlic seed - is often included in the composition of phytopreparations.
Broths of the following herbs have an abortive effect:
- / li>
- St. John's wort,
- grass hay,
- carnation field,
- sheepdog bag,
- earth licorice,
- autumn crocus,
- bay leaf,
- clover meadow,
- chamber high.
All of the above herbs have different principles of abortive action. Some of them affect the contraction of the uterine musculature, the intensive reduction of which provokes placental detachment and premature birth. Others suppress the action of estrogen, responsible for attaching the placenta and holding it in the body of the uterus throughout pregnancy, and its reduction leads to miscarriages. There are also such herbs that contain toxic substances, which, penetrating with the mother's blood to the fetus, cause fading and subsequent rejection. Poisonous substances can cause a sharp reduction in the oxygen level in the mother's blood, cause fetal asphyxia and death. Even seemingly harmless at first glance chamomile requires careful application, as along with a mass of useful properties with the regular use of its strong broth, it can become the culprit for strengthening the production of estrogens and increasing the tone of the uterus.
However, even if there is a contraindication, some herbs and medicinal plants may be prescribed to a pregnant woman for the treatment of various diseases, but it is important to take into account the delicate state of her body, and therefore the dosage should be calculated with special care and necessarily under the supervision of the attending physician.
Every pregnant woman should know that she is responsible for her health and for the correct intrauterine development of the baby. Therefore, if a woman decides to become a mother, then this should not happen "by accidental coincidence", but on a conscious basis, when the body has already been prepared for this by a healthy lifestyle and rational proper nutrition for at least 2-3 months.