Why pads are needed after birth
The usual monthly will not come immediately after childbirth (much will depend on the successful establishment of breastfeeding, although these processes are very individual). However, allocation is an integral part of the postpartum period. In medicine they are called lochia. It is quite logical that after the appearance of the baby the female organism will be restored for a long time and will return to the prenatal "norm". Purification of the uterus is also a necessary process, because it must completely get rid of the membranes, as well as restore its former size and function. It is the presence of secretions that will testify that everything is fine in the postpartum period.
Duration of lolya is very individual, but in most cases it is from 30 to 40 days. And the nature of the discharge all the time must change. So, in the first 2-4 days they are abundant and bright red; then they become darker and scarce, and in the last 2-3 weeks they should normally be white (or transparent) and only smearing. Any abnormalities (unpleasant odor, impurity of blood in white discharge, absence of any discharge in the first days after birth, etc.) - a signal about "malfunctions" and an occasion to consult a doctor.
Now we know why the gaskets after delivery, and how long they will have to use, so we go to the main thing: which gaskets are better.
Which pads are better
Modern mom is very lucky, because the market offers so many convenient things and means, that it is difficult to imagine how our grandmothers did without all this. Here are even gaskets: today they produce not only simple hygienic, but also special - postpartum. In any pharmacy, several manufacturers are offered, which differ little from each other, but nevertheless have a number of pros and cons.
The gasket data is something between normal gaskets and diapers. They are larger in size than the "night" ones used in the period of monthly, but less children's disposable diapers. When choosing this remedy for yourself, consider what "properties" it can (and in part and must!) Have:
- Sterility. This will help reduce the likelihood of infection: remember that the uterus after childbirth is a wound surface, and to her various bacilli very much even to nothing.
- Antibacterial. Not all postnatal pads have this "plus", but still many manufacturers impregnate the upper and inner layer with bactericidal substances, which is an additional barrier for the propagation of harmful microorganisms.
- Good moisture absorption. Typically, the package is indicated "in droplets", how much liquid can absorb these gaskets. In the first days, the funds with the highest number will come in handy, since there are many discharges, and physiological incontinence of urine can also increase. Fillers of puerperal pads are able to absorb not only liquid, but also clots.
- "Breathable" structure. The top layer should be soft, so as not to rub the skin and do not stick to it. And free air flow is also necessary for the fastest healing of the joints, without which, alas, the most common are natural birth.
- Anatomical form. Pads should be comfortable, repeating the lines of the crotch, and if even with the "wings", so it's generally perfect: and fastened well, and from the leakage will be saved.
Note that this kind of pads (postpartum) will be useful only in the first few days after delivery, and then there will be no need for them, as the abundance of discharge will decrease, therefore, most women already manage the usual hygienic means. Also remember about the rules for using these tools:
- Change the pads every 2 hours, regardless of their "filling".
- Put a new gasket after each trip to the toilet.
- Before attaching the product, you should wash your hands.
Some doctors, and mothers who give birth, recommend using gaskets as rarely as possible in the first 2-3 days, and spend more time, even without panties, naked, putting a special hygiene diaper under yourself. Thus, you will accelerate the healing process of postnatal wounds and protect yourself from all sorts of complications. Since the first days after giving birth, the woman is most lying in a reclining position, then it is quite possible to provide such "airing".
Postpartum or urological?
Some pharmacists may offer urological pads instead of postpartum pads. The latter are designed for people with urinary incontinence, and future moms have a question: will these pads fit them? Completely, testify to the reviews, since the difference is not so significant. Urological pads can absorb up to one liter of liquid, they neutralize odors, and the absorbed liquid is converted into a gel and distributed throughout the pad, while the postpartum absorbs less, but is able to "swallow" and the more viscous secreted, but will only be absorbed at the point of entry , not spreading over the entire area.
Which gaskets to give preference to depends on you. Judging by the reviews, many women manage even in the first days after birth with usual "night" pads, without experiencing any discomfort or complications, since the latter partly arise not so much from the wrong means of hygiene as from non-observance of the very hygiene of the external genital organs.
Among the most popular brands - Pelegrin, Canpol Babies, Chicco, Tena Lady, Moli Med, Seni Lady, etc. All of them are very popular among mothers and have a number of advantages, and only a few of them have small drawbacks (for example, the absence of "wings" in Mami Med gaskets; The function of the wings is performed by special elastic bands for fastening (at Pellegrin gaskets)). There are postnatal pads slightly more than usual, but comfort when wearing them is much higher.