About the causes of swelling of the legs after childbirth
During the waiting period of the baby, the hormonal background of the future mother changes. This leads to a delay in the body of the liquid. At the same time, the volume of circulating blood that is required for both the mother and the growing fetus increases. If the woman's health is okay, then after the birth of the baby, edema gradually disappears. In some women, this process is slow.
As for the appearance of edema just after childbirth, there are some explanations for this:
- The disturbed mode of the day and malnutrition. Care for crumb requires considerable physical strength, regardless of the time of day. This causes swelling of the extremities.
- Excess of salty and fried foods in the diet. If a woman does not feed a baby, then she can catch up with what she restricted herself to during pregnancy. A saline always delays the body's fluid.
- Varicose veins. The predisposing factor in the development of the disease is a violation of blood circulation in the limbs. Weak venous valves cause rapid progression of varicose veins during the postpartum period.
- Dysfunction of the kidneys. If this body during the bearing of the baby did not cope well with the load, then after his birth he continues to slowly withdraw the liquid. And when the pyelonephritis was also in the anamnesis, then, most likely, there is a relapse of the chronic form of the disease.
- Heart disease. The increased load on the main organ of the circulatory system leads to a slowing of blood flow in the lower extremities, and their puffiness.
What to do with postnatal swelling of the feet
If the problem is caused by natural changes in the body, then it will take place within a month, only it needs help to come back to normal. And for this it is recommended to perform simple physical exercises for the feet. This is the rotation of the feet, lifting on tiptoe, pinching of the toes. In the evening, you can perform a light massage of the legs, hips and feet to improve blood circulation in them. The procedure accelerates the accumulated fluid in the subcutaneous tissue. It will also help the body to come to the form of normalizing the regime of the day, rest, the exclusion of acute and salty foods. If, in spite of these measures, the woman's swelling does not go away within 3-4 weeks after delivery, then there is a serious reason for that. Only a comprehensive examination of the body will help to establish it, to identify the disease, the symptom of which are swelling. It is recommended to have an examination with a phlebologist. The result of duplex angioscanning of the veins will show the state of the vessels of the woman. If vein thrombosis is not detected, then before the end of breastfeeding, a woman is recommended local therapy. The condition of the veins will improve the ointments Lyoton, Troxevasin, Heparin. Drugs increase blood circulation, help to get rid of puffiness. To facilitate the condition of the legs, the wearing of compression linen is shown.
When the cause of edema of the lower extremities are problems with the kidneys, treatment with an experienced nephrologist is recommended. It is highly undesirable withIt is possible to prescribe for themselves diuretic herbs when breastfeeding.
About the prevention of postpartum swelling
Every woman can take care of the health of her legs before birth. Thus, wearing an antenatal bandage protects against stretch marks and reduces the load on the limbs, weakening the pressure of the uterus on the veins of the perineum, preventing the development of varicose veins.
Compression knitwear maintains the leg vessels in a healthy state, prevents their stretching, the appearance of swelling during pregnancy and after childbirth.
High heels - a taboo when carrying a baby, and after childbirth. It is desirable to wear shoes on a comfortable wedge or heel not more than three centimeters.
In the second half of pregnancy a good preventive measure is a contrast shower, along with relieving fatigue and reducing edema of the lower extremities. Competently composed diet, restriction of drinking in the evening, sufficient rest, restriction of physical activities - simple recommendations that help to prevent the problem.