However, despite such a long list of advantages, a pregnancy test, unfortunately, can be wrong, moreover, in both directions: show both a false positive and a false negative result. And this happens not so rarely as it was thought about earlier. That's why doctors are increasingly advised not to trust home tests, and in case of suspicion of pregnancy immediately go to see a gynecologist.
- There are many different reasons for the wrong test result:
- The test may be substandard (a violation of production technology) - it is better to choose expensive jet tests (besides they are more sensitive and accurate) .
- The test may be overdue - so always check the expiry date.
- Breach of storage conditions: You can only use a hermetically sealed unit and print it just before testing.
- Incorrect use of the test system: Read the test instructions carefully before proceeding with the procedure.
- Using a stale urine may show an error.
- A very short gestation period: the concentration level of the gonadotropin hormone is not yet enough to allow the test to fix it (you should know when to test). The same applies to the situation when pregnancy occurred immediately before the onset of menstruation (the result of late ovulation).
- Negative result in early terms is possible and with the development of ectopic pregnancy - in this case gonadotropin is released more slowly.
- False negative result is possible with the threat of miscarriage, when hCG is much less than with a normal pregnancy.
- With a miscarriage, abortion, removal of an ectopic pregnancy, the hCG hormone does not immediately disappear from the body, so pregnancy tests can show false positive results.
- A false result is possible in the presence of certain diseases. Positive, for example, in the case of development of the tumor process of the organs of the reproductive system, when the level of hCG also increases. Negative - with kidney disease.
- The test can show the presence of pregnancy in its absence in the case of taking medications that contain hCG. These are drugs used in the form of injections, such as Pregnil, Profazi and others. After the last reception of such drugs, you must wait 10-14 days, otherwise the test result will be false positive.
- Excessive fluid intake can greatly dilute urine, which theoretically can complicate the definition of HCG present in it. Therefore, it is undesirable to change the usual amount of consumed liquid before testing, or even better, do not drink anything for 4 hours.
In view of all this, you should always conduct a second test after 3-4 days. Of course, this method of diagnosis does not replace gynecological examination, which is mandatory, regardless of the test results, if the monthly ones did not come. Never trust the test 100%, then not to be disappointed and discouraged. Remember, an error is always possible.