We learn the answers to these questions.
Neutrophils: Functions and Norm
These substances in the blood are the components of leukocytes. Neutrophils - indicators of the state of female immunity. They can warn about the onset in the body of a future mother of the inflammatory process. But if the results of the analysis, they are increased, this is not always an indication of an infectious lesion.
The level of neutrophils can be absolute and relative. The first type is determined by the total number of cells per unit of blood. The absolute level of neutrophils is 1, 8-6, 5 * 109 per liter. If we talk about the relative index, the norm of these substances is 45-75% of the total number of leukocytes. Approximately up to 5% is due to immature forms of neutrophils. But in adult women they are mature, that is segmented.
Reasons for the increase
When a child is pregnant, the neutrophil count in blood is almost identical to that of normal healthy women. During pregnancy, exceeding the amount may be a variant of the norm. Sometimes this is observed after a plentiful meal, stress or strong physical exertion, for example, if a woman hurried to the laboratory for the analysis and went at a fast pace. The relative value of neutrophils in pregnant women ranges from 40 to 78%.
If neutrophils are raised, then there may be a case of neutrophilia. In particular, the level to 10 * 109 per liter speaks for a moderate degree of neutrophilia. And already 10-20 * 109 per liter indicates a pronounced degree. Severe degree is accompanied by a level of neutrophils from 20 to 60 * 109 per liter. The degree of neutrophilia for doctors is an indicator of the intensity of the inflammatory process.
If we talk specifically about the conditions that lead to inflammation, then during pregnancy it can be:
- Acute purulent processes. For example, tuberculosis, tonsillitis, pneumonia, ENT diseases, salpingitis, appendicitis, pyelonephritis may be accompanied by moderate or severe neutrophilia. Its severe form is scarlet fever, sepsis, peritonitis.
- Necroses of tissues. For example, severe burns.
- Alcohol intoxication. This happens if the woman used alcohol before pregnancy and continues to do so during the period of bearing the child.
- Recently suffered infectious diseases. Even if they are cured, neutrophils can still exceed the norm.
In pregnant women in the early stages, moderate neutrophilia may be a variant of the norm, because the developing fetus for the female body is alien. The immune system of a future mother produces in connection with this more than usual leukocytes, including neutrophils. But in early terms, high neutrophils can be a kind of signal about the risk of miscarriage. An increase in the level of neutrophils can also occur in late gestation, when there is a risk of premature birth.
Why neutrophils decrease
This condition is called neutropenia. It is diagnosed with an indicator of these substances in the blood 1, 6 * 109 per liter and lower. Neutropenia is also divided into three types. And its causes can be as follows:
- Severe infectious and viral diseases. It's flu, rubella, tularemia, measles, hepatitis.
- Lesions of the bone marrow. It happens after irradiation, taking certain medications, for example, sulfonamides, immunosuppressors or painkillers.
- Blood diseases, which include leukemia, folic deficiency anemia, a deficiency in the body of cobalamin.
Future mothers should keep in touch with gynecologists who watch them. And if there are any pathological conditions, especially in the first trimester of the term, then one must go to an unscheduled examination. And if the pregnant woman has questions about the results of tests and prescriptions, then do not hesitate to ask their doctor.