Causes of leg edema during pregnancy
Puffiness can occur for various reasons. Most often they appear due to:
- Excess fluid in the body of a future mother. During pregnancy, women drink much more water than before its onset, due to the fact that the volume of blood increases significantly.
- Too frequent consumption of salt. As is known, this product contains sodium, and it in turn provokes a fluid retention in the body. A woman should be very careful about the use of pickles, canned fish, fast food. Even homemade dishes are best slightly nedosalivat to avoid strong edema.
- Varicose veins. This disease is often observed in pregnant women. Because of the increase in the uterus and the gradual growth of the abdomen, some important vessels are compressed. Therefore, the outflow of blood from the legs is significantly reduced.
- Gestosis. In later terms, future mothers encounter a disruption in the functioning of the organs, which can affect the withdrawal of the fluid, the work of blood vessels, etc.
- Disorders of kidney function. If before the conception this problem was present in the body, then during the bearing of the child, it will remind of itself with a double force. This is fraught with edema of the legs, diseases of the urinary system.
- Allergic reactions. When pregnancy is not ruled out the emergence of allergies to hair, pollen or certain foods, even if it was not there before. Moreover, legs can swell because of insect bites, contact with some plants.
- High temperature in the warm season.
- A sedentary lifestyle. If the motor activity is too low, then increasing the volume of legs is a natural process.
Symptoms of lower extremity edema
When pregnancy is extremely important to recognize the problem in time and consult a doctor so as not to harm your own health and future baby. There are several degrees of puffiness:
- The first is characterized by an increase in the volume of the shank.
- The second degree also affects the feet, sometimes the hips and lower abdomen.
- When the third is completely swollen legs, face and fingers.
- With the fourth degree, virtually all parts of the body swell. In addition to discomfort, this conceals a significant danger to the body.
First of all, the amount of liquid consumed per day does not correspond to the amount, which is excreted from the body. This is the first symptom to say that there may be minor problems. Next, you need to pay attention to the skin condition. When swelling, she looks very taut, pale and can begin to peel off. If you press your finger on the leg, then there remains a small pit, which very slowly disappears.
The habitual footwear becomes for the future mother close. Sometimes it is impossible to shoe it at all. The same situation is observed with trousers.
But sometimes a woman can confuse swelling of her legs with a set of extra pounds. How to determine the presence of a problem in this case? It is necessary to control the weight jumps. If a week was more than half a kilogram, and after a few days they disappeared, there is no doubt that it is swelling.
Consequences of leg swelling during pregnancy
Someone may think that this problem is harmless, but it's far from the case. If you do not pay attention to swelling and do not look for their causes, then the health of a future mother can significantly worsen. Among the consequences can be identified:
- Increase in pressure.
- Significantly increases the burden on the liver and kidneys. This is due to fluid retention in the body. If swelling does not leave you from the early stages of pregnancy, then most likely there will be problems with the work of the organs.
- Violation of the supply of blood and nutrients of the fetus. Most often, this is due to the hidden swelling of not only the legs, but also the internal organs.
- Poor blood clotting.
- A significant increase in weight. A pregnant woman is difficult to move around, there is shortness of breath, doing everyday things without help becomes impossible.
In conclusion, it should be mentioned that at the first symptoms of swelling a woman must necessarily visit a doctor. He will be able to identify the real cause of the problem that has arisen. After this, it becomes clear whether the disease is guilty or the pregnant woman has normal puffiness, which will not affect the development and condition of the fetus in any way.